Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dog Heaven...

If you have ever been lucky enough to have a special dog in your life, then you know there is a place called Dog Heaven. Cynthia Rylant also wrote a book "Cat Heaven". In June of 1998, I lost my beloved companion Samantha, a Standard Poodle. As a gift, I was given this book. I look through this book often when I think of all my pets that I have lost. It lightens my heavy heart. Although it is a children's book, I recommend it to anyone at any age who has lost a beloved pet - the drawings are precious. It makes me feel good to look at the book and hope and believe and picture the kind and gentle spirits of my Samantha, Copper, Abbey, Archie and Lucy who followed her over The Rainbow Bridge since 1998, in "dog heaven", whole, young and healthy again, running and playing in the beautiful sunshine. I love to read the part where these beloved companions come back to check on us and make sure that we are ok - or check out a favorite spot in their yard. Somehow this comforts me - and can even bring a smile to my face for a moment, replacing the many, many tears.

If you've ever cried over the death of a pet, you need this book. Cynthia Rylant offers comfort for any grieving pet owner, no matter what thier age.

"When dogs go to heaven, they don't need wings because God knows that dogs love running best." From that simple beginning, this book paints a picture of a place filled with canine joys. There are good-natured geese to bark at, angel children to play with, and dog biscuits to munch. Even strays have wonderful homes and lots of love in dog heaven.

It's been over ten years since I lost my Samantha, and I still identify with this book as if the loss had been yesterday. I can't think of a better way to say farewell to a good and faithful friend than to share this book as a memorial.

My friend's beloved dog Jazzy, this morning April 23, 2009 was ready to leave us and crossed the rainbow bridge with assistance. Jazzy, several evenings ago, I sat on the floor with you and asked you to lift your head so I could take this photo of you. You never did photograph well, none of you black dogs do. This is not the best photo, but I will always remember your doing exactly what I asked of you even when you were too weak and tired to do so. I will also remember when you jumped in the pool with us for the first time in years, when your mom adopted your Big Brother Bugsy, about 9 months ago. Some people "swim with the dolphins" and some swim with the dogs! Bugsy may have been bigger then you, but you never let him steal the show. When he came to live at your house, you were already a tired old gal and had several physical ailments including Arthritus. I believe you hung in there long enough so that you could check out this new guy and make certain you would leave Mom well looked after.

Jazzy, go and run and play, hold your tail high and chase balls in heaven, you will always remain in our hearts here on earth. (Jazzy was 13 ish + years old, but being a rescued dog who really knows exactly)
Bugsy, Anita, and Jazzy soon after Bugsy was adopted from the Lab Rescue Group in South Florida.

A DOG'S PLEA: "My friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands".

Thinking of bringing another pet into your home......consider adopting from a rescue group or shelter.

Maxine
volunteer Small Paws Rescue

No comments: