Saturday, July 19, 2008

Zumba makes exercise a party.....


What is Zumba?

I have been doing Zumba now since it was first introduced, a little over 1 1/2 years ago, at my local YMCA where I am a member and work out regularly. Whenever I mention the name Zumba or wear my Zumba t-shirt, people either look at me with the expression "what are you talking about", or immediatly get excited and get into the conversation. Zumba, if you are wondering, is not your typical aerobics class. Even people with two left feet, as myself, can get involved in this upbeat workout that incorporates Salsa and Merengue, because the steps are very repetitive and fairly easy to learn, not to mention incredibly fun. In this upbeat-high energy group exercise class........hips shake, hands clap, shoulders shimmy and feet pivot, step and slide to a Latin beat that really gets you moving, sweating and burning those calories.

I must add, Zumba also seems to involve something else........lots of smiles and laughter! It's fun and addictive.

Zumba is a fitness program inspired by Latin dance. It was founded by Miami-based dancer and choreographer Alberto 'Beto' Perez, a celebrity fitness trainer and choreographer for international pop superstars, who teamed up with two local entrepreneurs: Alberto Perlman and Alberto Aghion. It combines Latin rhythms with cardiovascular exercise to create an aerobic routine that is fun and easy to follow. Zumba utilizes the principles of fitness interval training and resistance training to maximize caloric output, fat burning, and total body toning. I t’s a way of mixing body sculpting movements with easy-to-follow dance steps.

The Master Class

Several months ago, I was fortunate to be able to attend a master class given by Beto himself. Aproximately 250 people were crammed into half a gymnasium to dance with the master. Yes this is a photo taken of me and Beto after the class. Attending this class was a "happening" and an experience that will stay with me for a very long time.

If you have not tried it, and if you have the opportunity to try Zumba........do it! The terrific latin rhythms in the program have taken the ‘work’ out of “working out.”

1 comment:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

I've been swimming... er... doggiepaddling a lot... so I haven't been doing zumba. Good post.