Monday, November 3, 2008

Who said vegtables have to be boring?

I love to cook, to me it is a creative outlet....also I love to eat healthy, good food. I recently hosted a dinner party for 16 at my home. My choice for my menu was a Greek meal and while searching recipes online and in cook books, I discovered that Greek cooking is for everyone. In selecting my menu, I discovered the wonderful aromas of many delicious foods that I surely will prepare again.

The following is my menu that I selected:

1. Shrimp, artichoke and spinach dip served with pita triangles

2. Hummus made from dried beans and very garlicky

3. Cheese-zucchini squares

4. Horiatike Salata/Greek Salad

5. Moussaka *

6. Baked Green Beans with Feta Cheese ....I will share recipe below

7. Assorted Greek Pastries **

8. Boston Creme Pie, I know this did not go with the theme, but everyone does
not care for the "extreme sweetness" of the Greek pastries.

* The Moussaka recipe was a huge hit and came from the cookbook, Greek Cooking for everyone, by Theoni Pappas & Elvira Monroe.

**I cheated here and purchased the Greek Pastry platter from my very good friend Costco. I am not really a baker, as I much prefer cooking the "meat & potatoes.


Don't let green beans get boring; serve this Greek-style side dish that's packed with flavour.

Ingredients
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves
garlic, minced
2 tablespoons
olive oil
1/2 teaspoon
salt
freshly ground
black pepper
2 medium
tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup crumbled
feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped
fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped
fresh oregano
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2.. In a medium bowl, combine beans, onion, garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place mixture in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan and top with tomatoes, feta cheese, basil and oregano.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tender.







No comments: