The following is my menu that I selected:
1. Shrimp, artichoke and spinach dip served with pita triangles
2. Hummus made from dried beans and very garlicky
3. Cheese-zucchini squares
4. Horiatike Salata/Greek Salad
5. Moussaka *
6. Baked Green Beans with Feta Cheese ....I will share recipe below
7. Assorted Greek Pastries **
8. Boston Creme Pie, I know this did not go with the theme, but everyone does
not care for the "extreme sweetness" of the Greek pastries.
* The Moussaka recipe was a huge hit and came from the cookbook, Greek Cooking for everyone, by Theoni Pappas & Elvira Monroe.
**I cheated here and purchased the Greek Pastry platter from my very good friend Costco. I am not really a baker, as I much prefer cooking the "meat & potatoes.
Don't let green beans get boring; serve this Greek-style side dish that's packed with flavour.
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2.. In a medium bowl, combine beans, onion, garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place mixture in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan and top with tomatoes, feta cheese, basil and oregano.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tender.