Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Loss of a beloved pet

I do not mean to make anyone sad with this posting, it is written with wonderful memories of all the incredible pets that have had a place in my life and heart....and I loved them all.

This past week the beloved pet of a very close friend and neighbor crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. This is always a very sad time as we can't understand and don't know why our wonderful friends are taken from us......sometimes so quickly and at a young age.

Mia....this posting is a tribute for you.......good bye my friend. Although you were not my pet, you took a place in my space.....you were loved and will not be forgotten!
November 1998-July 27, 2008.


I have had many pets in my lifetime, each very individual and loved! I know I have been very lucky to have had all these special dogs in my life and I know there is a Dog Heaven. In fact with the passing of my Standard Poodle, Samantha or "Sam" as we called her, I was given a very special book, called Dog Heaven, written and illustrated by Cynthia Rylant. I have shared this book with several friends as they grieve the loss of a pet. I personally have read it over and over and over, each time completing the book with a happier feeling in my heart. This book was actually written for children to understand the loss of a pet, and perhaps we are all children in our hearts.

As I reread this book last evening, I came across a Hallmark Card that was tucked inside. I do not know the author but would like to post these beautiful words here, as they are so touching and so true.



They will not go quietly,
the dogs who've shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know
their spirit still survives.
Old habits still make us think
we hear a barking at the door.
Or step back when we drop
a tasty morsel on the floor.
Our feet still go around the place
the food dish used to be,
And, sometimes, coming home at night
we miss them terribly.
And although time may bring new friends.......
and a new food dish to fill,
That one place in our hearts always
belong to them..............
and always will.


Thinking of this recent loss ...... I want to share what has gotten me through my sorrows, as needed. The following link will forward you to all kinds of helpful information on grieving the loss of a pet. I urge everyone to take from it what will help mend your hearts and never forget. If you have been lucky enough to have a special dog in your life, then you know there is a place called Dog Heaven. Perhaps you can find some comfort in these pages.

http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/pup3/petlossgrief.html .





A Pet's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest and I will leave you knowing the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
Written by Beth Norman Harris

1 comment:

Red said...

We put our rescued doxie mix down nearly 3 years ago. Then we went back to the Humane Society and got a pitbull mix. Our new baby is just that...a baby.

We only get dogs from the pound or rescues shelters. And it ripped our heart out when we had to put Rosie down. but Tippy came into our lives and it is full again.

Tell your friend we know her pain.